Wednesday, May 14, 2008

BONES

Bones, brittle, breaking

Caking into grayish particles of dust

Jagged fragments stick up through the oozing bronze mud

Who walked these steps?

Who’s voice quivered with disbelief at the

Scene that was about to unfold?

Did he scream, voice reverberating across the ancient trees

Or did his face contort in a voice-less shriek

Like the painting made famous by Norwegian Edvard Munch

And what of the witnesses- were they the cause of his demise?

Or did they hide, afraid that a similar fate would befall them?

Bending down among the patches of moss

My bones encased in flesh, I dig into the soft sludge

My nails fill with the matter beneath them-

Containing living organisms and retired DNA

My eyes close and I bring to life the man who lost his here

Here on this very spot- I see him tall, muscular with wild eyes

And torn clothing

I hear the pounding of his heart, I feel the heat of his hot tortured breath

I reach out to grab his hand

And my hand comes up

Empty

I dig more furiously now that I have seen him

Tears sting my eyes as I travel deeper into the earth

Finally my forefinger reaches something hard and round

I pull it out and pour the last of my bottled water over it

To clear away the muck

It half-sparkles in the sunshine, more of a glint

It is a gold wedding band

I rub it with the tail end of my shirt and see the words engraved inside:

“You are the love of my life. Forever. 0620-1114 .”

A deep sadness overtakes me as I feel the loss of this great love

A cloud passes over the sun and the world goes dark

For a moment

Sprinkles from the errant cloud rain down lightly upon my head

I close my eyes and feel the power of love radiating from that band of gold

And when I open them, I see a partial rainbow in the heavens

It is a sign and I know then that I have a job to do

The power of love reaches from beyond the grave





All original material copyright Michelle Beckham-Corbin

No comments: