Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Deepest Sadness One Can Endure




The greatest sadness on earth has descended on a family. The worst fear a parent can ever have: that of losing a child, has come to fruition for a local family. Imagine that you make it through the early worries:
  • the first time they ride the school bus
  • the first sleep over at a friend's house
  • the first overnight summer camp
  • the first time they take up a contact sport as a young child
  • the first time they take the car out on their own
And then your talented 16 year old, honor-roll son is walking along the road for an after-school job. A job that probably helps to pay for expenses at his large Jesuit boys' high school. A school where he is loved by many and participates on the wrestling team as well as the audition-only, renowned singing group, the X Men. Perhaps he is thinking about homework or maybe about an upcoming performance as he walks slowly to his destination.

In a split second, a middle-aged woman runs a red light going 50 miles an hour and slams into the young man. In that small amount of time, a life is compromised; a destiny changed. His life hangs in the balance as he lays in a coma at University Hospital for nine days, most of his organs massively affected by the impact.


The school community prays for him daily. And then the phone call comes. He has been pronounced officially brain dead. A mother has lost a son, two brothers have lost their middle brother and his class mates have lost a dear friend.
My heart continues to ache hours after I received the phone call from St. Xavier stating that Kevin Le had died this afternoon. I sobbed for Kevin and the injustice of it all.

I am a mother with a son close to Kevin's age and I know that news of this kind would destroy me if I were in her place. I continue to pray for Kevin and for strength for his family and I know that in the end he has found peace from his many injuries and release from the coma that he had been in.
My hope is that his life will be celebrated for all of the good that he achieved in his short 16 years and that everyone, parent or not, will take the time to appreciate the gift of those who are in their lives on a daily basis. I tell my children that I love them often, after today often won't be nearly enough......

Copyright Michelle Beckham-Corbin 2009

5 comments:

Daniel said...

:'(

I hurt for the family and for the woman who was driving the car. I know the pain felt is very real.

Keep the Positive Energy Flowing said...

So sad to hear about this. Our minister tells me that things like this are a mystery, can't be explained in our human understanding. I just said a prayer for you and the family.

Joanne Maly-Lincoln Maly Marketing said...

Michelle,

What a poetic tribute to Kevin Le, and to all parents who have children and love them so much. I drove down Rt. 4 last evening and was filled with such sadness for all who loved this young man, and for all parents who have lost their children.

To all who read your post, I wish them safety and health.

Jeremy Fischer said...

As a father who is only just beginning the journey of parenthood, I can't imagine the pain.

I pray for all involved. Like Daniel mentioned, that includes the woman driving the car.

Assuming there were no extraneous circumstances (i.e. drugs, alcohol, etc) involved, she deserves some love as well. She made a mistake that will haunt her for the rest of her life.

Everyone involved needs some attention in this one.

God Bless!

gcorbin said...

It is very sad how 1 small mistake can have such a major impact for so many people.

It made me think about how I should be happy with what I have. I have a good job, nice home and a very loving family.