Thursday, September 30, 2010

Be My Winding Wheel



You never cease to amaze me with your dichotomous ability

To wax and wane in my life

One moment you are anger and fury pointing a crooked

Finger at the past

Months of eerie silence follows

As I wonder if you are destroying the life

I worked so hard to save

Then out of the blue you emerge and ask me:

“Do you recall ‘Be My Winding Wheel’ by Ryan Adams?”

Good Lord, of course I do

How could I forget……

There is an enormous history between the three of us

Sharing his music, discussing his lyrics, reading aloud to each other

From Ryan’s book of poetry, “Infinity Blues”

And then the magic occurs as you pull out your acoustic guitar

And play the song while soulfully singing out the lyrics

I haven’t heard you sing for me in years, yet it felt like yesterday

But different

Your life is set to the path I helped charter

And it is so very cool that we still debate and philosophize about

Great literary works and gut-touching music

I know your idiosyncrasies and you know my vanity

We share history that has shaped who we are today

And for some crazy reason that tenuous web remains unbroken…




Copyright Michelle Beckham-Corbin 2010 All rights Reserved

No comments: