Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Follow-up to "You Are My Destiny..."

I have to say that on first blush, I wasn't very pleased with my post yesterday, "You are my destiny...It is Written." I was so incredibly touched by the idea of destiny and fate in the movie Slumdog Millionaire that I just had to get all of the feelings that were swirling around in my brain down on paper. Those of you who know my writing style, know that I seem to channel the feelings and emotions that I experience and let my pen take off on it's own journey. It's almost like an out-of-body experience or a meditative trance. I become one with the emotion or the person that I am seeing in my mind and I just write as if I were the person or feeling that I am experiencing. Having said that, the repetitive lines within the piece felt jarring to me as I have never written this way before, but I felt strongly compelled to do so. Here is a comment that I received on Facebook regarding this piece from my writer friend Robin:

"This is powerful and beautiful...I love the repetitive pattern.
For some reason, I couldn't help but read the "they"'s as "we"s, the "them"s as "us" or "our"....
Really strong and touching - thanks for sharing, Michelle"

and my response:

"Thanks for commenting Robin! It's strange because the repetitive portion felt unnatural to me, but I felt compelled to write it that way. This was in response to the movie Slumdog Millionaire that I saw yesterday. I was intrigued by the fact that the main character, Jamal Malik, knew what his destiny was as a young boy and spent his life fulfilling it. There are people that come into our lives that are destined to be there- I wrote this for them, for Jamal and for myself."


So while I wasn't thrilled about the formatting of the piece, I'm truly glad that it resonated with someone else. Isn't the whole point of writing to touch someone's heart with your words?




Copyright Michelle Beckham-Corbin

No comments: