Friday, October 30, 2009

It's an H1N1 World....

You know that life has shifted
and you have entered the other side of existence
when the late night owl that has always been you
needs to enter into conversation
any conversation, just to stay awake
in anticipation of a bus load of kids
back from an out-of-state field trip

If only I didn't have an early morning meeting
I could sleep in to make up for this loss
such a difference from five years ago, when I
existed on 3 to 4 hours of sleep

So much has changed
So much has changed me

Living anti-parallel lives now,
I remember when we lived for the conversation
any conversation
any time of day or night

The place between darkness and dawn
between separateness and being one
When time stood still and the world passed
by around us.

That was then, this is now.
Text message alerts me that the bus
is crossing the Ohio River
It's 1:00 a.m., do you know where your child is??
Mine is on a packed bus with H1N1
Lying in wait on every iTouch and cell phone surface.
I'm outta here- taking the hand sanitizer with me!



Copyright Michelle Beckham-Corbin 2009

No comments: