Thursday, January 28, 2010

Once Upon A Time....

I feel the energy that is growing between us
The pull that takes me back years and years ago
to the time when you bared your soul and I
rejected you for another

Re-connected and traveling in the same professional circles
I watch you watch me out of the corner of your eye
The hug of greeting that you extend as
others shake hands around us
Is not the quick motion of two colleagues embracing
There is a pause and a deep tightening of your arms around me
Just for a second, a flash that only I am aware of

You are part of the reason for where I am today
You gave me confidence when I changed gears in my life
And inspired me to share my words with the world
No easy feat for a certified privately paranoid person

I remember things about you from long ago
Secrets from your family that you shared
with me within the dark spaces of our college dorm
Events that touched your heart, that I have kept close to mine

I remember that last snow-filled night, when our world
was swirling white with flakes
and sharing a couple of shots sounded like a good thing
Honey flavored liquor loosens tongues and causes the heart to spill
I am so sorry that I broke yours on that cold winter's evening......


Copyright Michelle Beckham-Corbin 2010

No comments: