Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Olives, Part Deux

Working so hard that each project
blends into the next
and last week's snowstorm becomes this
week's blizzard of white
that encompasses my spirit and blinds my sight

This nagging stage of sleepiness makes
me wonder what is real and what is the fiction of my night
And you mirror my life, working 24/7
in a distant land
our schedules so out of sync that the
time difference doesn't even matter

I think I saw the words "I love you" in a message
on my phone
Was that you?
Was that a dream?
Was it my iPhone playing tricks on me?

I called you last night and you were lost in sleep
Alert enough to answer your phone
Too tired to talk, too bone-chilling cold
All you were able to get out was some message
about working around the clock
that was filled with sleepy regret
and the promise of a future surprise as if I were a child

Well, I am not a child

How long can I wait for you?
Is the money so worth it to you that you are
losing your days?
losing your soul?
losing me?




Copyright Michelle Beckham-Corbin 2009

No comments: