Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Good 'Ol Summer Time! ♥

I joined the crowd last night for a time honored summer tradition: the outdoor concert; With lawn seats no less! Thank God there was no rain, but dang was it HOT!! I could feel rivulets of sweat trickling down my back making their journey south-ward to my denim pedal pushers as I forged on with blankets and coolers in hand. My frustration steadily increasing, as I passed closed gate after closed gate and Cincinnati's finest flagging the endless line of cars on past the REAL gates of Coney Island and Riverbend to the far flung outskirts of the horse fields. I had pre-paid parking but still found myself east of the race track with a 2 mile walk to the concert and my feet were killing me.

Finally made it in and grabbed a primo location on the lawn- close enough to see the stage fairly well and also the large performance screen. Took me back to my first concert in the late '70's with Peter Frampton and his "Frampton Comes Alive Tour" at the Meriweather Post Pavilion outside D.C. Surveying the crowd around me, I thought "Man, did I ever look that young or scream that loudly??" Back then you could smell smoke of a questionable origin seeping out from the darkness around you. Last night I smelled lots of Bubble Gum lip gloss and cotton candy. Instead of lighters flickering in the distance, I saw glow sticks and lit cell phones. I think I counted about 10 males under the age of 40 in the whole place. Hmmnn, you are probably wondering about now who the artist was. Well the 15,000 member audience included every girl between 7 and 14 in the Anderson area and lots of parents, like myself, who were trying to get through a concert with 3 bands and a bunch of unknown songs. How weird to be at a rock concert and unable to belt out the words. Well, I have to confess that I know the Year 3000 song, but that's cuz it was in the movie "Meet the Robinsons". The night was all about Avril Lavigne and the mega bubble gum cute Jonas Brothers. The youngest Jonas did a nice spiel on how he is dealing with his Diabetes and played a beautiful song that he wrote.


And guess what.............I survived my first tween concert!!!!!


No comments: