Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Ice

Snow slowly falls, and I gaze out the window
seeing your reflection etched into the glass
reaching out to touch your face there in the frozen pane
I am struck by the cold radiating through my fingers
and the physical pain pulls me back
Back to the room; the place once a source of happiness
hosting now only emptiness and shadows

It is times like these when I am alone and
Surrounded by the memories that you come achingly back to me
Your laugh, your voice, the touch of your fingers on my lips
all the memories come crashing back shattering my brain
until I can no longer move
Immobile, I sit frozen in time, frozen in space
hoping beyond hope that you will somehow appear;
released from your resting space in the sky
And melt my chains of loneliness away


Oh what I would give to have you back just for one day
To tell you all those things I couldn't for so many years
the things that I kept hidden inside
waiting for the right day
Who knew that the right day would never ever come?
Who knew that you would be taken away from me so soon?


A canvass half painted- you were a work of art in motion
You inspired me to be my best; you knocked me down a peg
When I became too full of myself
You were my friend, my confidante, my everything
If you were here today, I would tell you this:
You made a huge difference in my life
And I loved you with all of my heart
I thought we would be together forever
Destiny showed her hand and it was time for you to depart
Suddenly your spark was put out and you were gone before
I could reach your side

I tear my gaze from the window and the falling snow
My frozen state of immobility has melted
The fire-hot tears that fall silently from my eyes
cracking the ice in my heart
I feel again....but it is pain
Will it ever go away...........






Copyright Michelle Beckham-Corbin 2009

No comments: