Thursday, April 22, 2010

PLAYING WITH FIRE




So…here we are exposed to the naked truth of desire

You desire my company

I desire to know what makes you tick

You are an enigma- you terrify me in your directness and demanding nature

Yet I am pulled toward you like a moth to a light

Circling closer and closer, just hoping that I won’t get burned

You have the means and the ability to get to me

Literally get to me

There’s no hiding behind a virtual curtain

Warning sirens should be sounding

Like a gong in the empty recesses of my hijacked brain

‘Escape while you can’ should be the tape re-playing in my head

An eight track tape- how fitting

Yet, instead of retreating, I find myself wondering why you are the way you are

As if it is an ancient puzzle that I am destined and determined to solve

I picture you on that night time flight to Europe

Traveling at the speed of light to avoid the ash particles from the

Spewing Volcano

I told you before you left, that the thought of traveling through danger

Was incredibly exciting to me- an adrenaline rush like a wild roller-coaster ride

You just laughed in that old soul, slightly condescending way

As if I were a girl, rather than your equal in age

You told me goodbye and said “I’ll talk to you again when I return home.”

Presuming that I will be there for you when you disembark onto US soil

Lord, I think I need to exorcise you out of my life before the volcano erupts




Copyright Michelle Beckham-Corbin 2010
Image credit via Demetrius Tauriac

No comments: