Monday, April 26, 2010

The Reincarnation of Artichokes



Permanently tethered to the ether
Coming together because we share that connection
I know your core, your essence
And you know mine
I sense your pain, your hurt from a thousand miles away
It cuts like a knife and I feel it deep within my soul

You used to say we were the purest form of soul mates
That truism has played out over and over
The connection remains unbroken, despite our best efforts
To move on- to carve another life absent of yesterday

Words tie us together sending us on clouds of literary volleyball
Trading the world’s greatest authors with pieces of our own
Examining life from the opposite ends of a kaleidoscope
Your end looks out through the eye piece and sees reality:
Harsh, dark, the hardness of struggle and living life merely to exist
My end focuses on the sliding colors and shapes
Seeing endless possibilities in a world filled with brightly colored hope

Is this the dichotomy that brought us together and keeps us connected?
Your existence in a world of darkness and self-mutilation
Despite having a brilliant mind
That just couldn’t cope with the ordinary surrounding your world
My existence in a world full of promise and peace
Because I have a brilliant mind

It’s obvious that you can’t let me go
It’s obvious that I can’t let you go either

But you are sinking once again, deeper than any time before
I saved you once and almost lost my soul
Your soul is crying out again
I feel it
I hear it
God, I don’t know what to do…….




Copyright Michelle Beckham-Corbin 2010

No comments: