Saturday, March 21, 2009

CHANCE ENCOUNTERS


Back to destiny. Interesting how this topic keeps re-surfacing. In fact, I had another long discussion with an old friend about this very thing earlier tonight, but I digress………..


Chain of events- how many times do we make a decision about something spurred on by a random occurrence? What if that occurrence wasn’t random? I believe that everything happens for a reason and that clues that can guide our lives are scattered about if we only have the intuitive eye with which to see.


An example: Several months ago, out of nowhere, my daughter developed a barking cough which seemed to get worse during certain times of the day. First diagnosis was left-over bronchial infection. Since the symptoms occur when she is active, i.e. gym class, Lacrosse, Volley ball practice (places where I am not around), I didn’t hear the cough after the initial few weeks. Out of range, out of mind. So after playing phone tag with the doctor for a week, I totally forgot about the situation. So yesterday morning, I entered her room to wake her up and she didn’t respond. I called her name loudly several times and she just didn’t move (which is totally unusual as she is a light sleeper). In a millisecond of panic, I thought, OMG, she’s dead! But then she moved and got out of bed. I brushed it off as nothing and promptly forgot the whole scene. That was random clue number 1.


Later, during my pre-work coffee, I glanced down and saw a tiny section at the bottom of the front Metro Section of the Cincinnati Enquirer. It was a picture of a lovely woman that I had met last fall and had several subsequent phone conversations with. The article reported her untimely death the day before due to an asthma attack. Random Clue number 2 was too strong to be random.


Most people don’t know that I am highly intuitive (dare I say, “psychic”?). I phoned the Allergy/Asthma doctor and described what had been going on with my daughter and they immediately diagnosed her with possible exercise-induced asthma brought on by allergies and put her on three inhaler medications to test this theory.


Would something unfortunate have happened that night when she went to a rigorous Lacrosse Practice? I’ll never know, but I am glad that we have taken uncertainty out of the equation.



Copyright Michelle Beckham-Corbin 2009

No comments: