Friday, March 20, 2009

LESSONS FROM HOME: A QUICK HOP ON THE SOCIAL MEDIA HIGHWAY


How cool is it to have a crash lesson on WordPress at midnight from the comfort of my home, ponytail and sweats as my working uniform?? My instructor, Daniel Johnson, Jr., in his home office in some other part of our fair city guiding me through the process. Using Dim-Dim Web Conferencing and Skype for chat capabilities (yes, we could have just been on our phones- but hey, might as well go high tech all the way around!), we edited a piece that I had posted to the New Media Cincinnati Web site. Daniel was able to show me, via his computer screen, some of the extra functions that Word Press has to offer as well as how to edit the HTML that he had loaded onto the site. We also went over some key ways to increase the "Google Juice" factor for searches and other SEO tips.

Last item to take care of was to create an RT (Re-Tweet) capability for readers to be able to immediately re-post to Twitter and have the link-back URL as a "bit.ly" which has incredible tracking capabilities as Daniel showed me on his computer screen. As 12:30 a.m. approached, I have to admit that my brain was starting to shut down. So we called it a night (morning?) and signed off.

Anyone that has met Daniel knows that he is passionate about New Media. His excitement and enthusiasm shines through in every New Media Cincinnati Meet-Up. He has a strong desire to help others in so many ways (community outreach, "How I Got My Job" Podcast, etc.) and I am very fortunate to be traveling the net highway with him as my own New Media OnStar plan!

We are at an incredible time in our lives, where the world is shifting by quantum leaps into a new way of communicating and connecting quickly across the globe. I'm just thrilled to be along for the ride!


Copyright Michelle Beckham-Corbin 2009

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Thank you for your kind words! I really appreciate that.