Thursday, March 12, 2009

Esme Kenney: Bright Light Extinguished by Pure Evil

I haven't been able to write for days. Actually, I take that back. I wrote one paragraph that has been sitting open in Word for this entire week. Too frozen to post it, too frozen to move beyond it. So now in the sunshine of today, I dare to finally release this and will share the reasons why this was so hard at the end. See you in a few................................



What does it take to rip your world apart,
To tear your heart into shreds that are pulsating
With so much pain that you can’t take a breath on your own?
You get the news that no one EVER wants to hear:
"Your child is missing and has been found murdered”
The pain is searing
Hell has arrived
You just can’t go on……………………



*****************************

I was completely and utterly struck silent and numb due to the horrific crime that brought pen to paper. News stories touch all of us in some way, but when you happen to know the people who are involved either directly or indirectly, it just hits you that much harder.

The crime (see Cincy Enquirer article): an attack on a 13yr old girl who was jogging around a reservoir in Cincinnati directly across the street from her family home. She was attacked by a convicted sex offender and serial killer who had been recently kicked out, yes I said KICKED OUT, of a Half-way house. He killed her and set fire to her body after taking her iPod and watch, following a similar pattern in previous attacks.

Esme Kenney was a 7th grader at the School for Performing & Creative Arts in Cincinnati, extremely talented and a joy in everyone's life. Her mother Lisa Siders-Kenney is an artist and part of the same writing organization that I have been affiliated with: Women Writing for (a) Change.

The day Esme went jogging was an unseasonable March afternoon with temperatures nearing 80 degrees, a precursor more to summer than a hint of spring day. Her attacker was found asleep just 100 yards away from where her body was hidden in thick woods.

My prayers are with the Kenney family as they face the incredible loss of their vivacious daughter. Please take the time to send prayers and energy their way. And if you have a kid, make sure you give them another hug- just because. I have a 7th grade daughter and my heart is breaking.


Copyright Michelle Beckham-Corbin

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I understand your sentiments completely. I'm a single mom attending NKU and Lisa is one of my favorite art profs. My heart breaks for her. :(

Michelle Beckham-Corbin said...

Debby,

Thanks for taking the time to post a comment and to let me know that Lisa had an effect on you as an art student. As additional news stories surfaced after this post, it was evident to all that this man was a complete monster. All we can do is hold Lisa's family in our hearts as they struggle to deal with this senseless loss of their young daughter.