Monday, April 6, 2009

CONVERSATION: A Litany of Literature

And so the conversation begins
Not in the usual manner of topics but launching into
Favorite authors of ours:
Sylvia Plath, Edgar Allen Poe, T.S. Elliot, Richard Wright, the list is endless

The question “Have you read…..?” always ending in the affirmative
How is it that we have similar tastes in literature, music and
Openess to the differences in people that exist in the world,
Yet come from two completely opposite upbringings and vantage points?

We’ve gotten past the past
As you say to me often, “It is what it is”
Both having grown from the experience of being completely submerged
Into consciousness of the other

Today you can read my thoughts, and I can read your moods
Just from the sound of your voice
You tell me like it is and have the guts to say it to my face
Whether I want to hear the truth or not
I give you guidance on the path that I have already walked
Whether you want to hear my words or not

Today we debate, yesterday we battled
Although not often, the discussions were thunderous and left us emotionally raw
It seems like we have finally morphed into the friendship that should have been
Once upon a time and a long time ago

You inspire me and I goad you into action.
Despite other happenings in our private lives
We seem to always come back together for conversation
Something about that special connection
That draws us in, no matter how far apart we have drifted

The soul connection remains intact
Raise a glass to friendship
And some Poe mixed in with a bit of James Joyce by the fire
Who needs the bear skin rug anyway?
We have mastered the art of conversation.




Copyright Michelle Beckham-Corbin 2009

No comments: