Thursday, April 30, 2009

Ramblings From a Mad Woman (just kidding....)


Ok, this is one of those top of the mind, semi-rambling posts. I much prefer the posts that are inspired by some wicked flash of an idea and find themselves speedily transformed from brain to screen. Those posts usually end up as one of two types:

  • Creative writing in the form of mostly poetry, sometimes short stories
  • Opinion pieces, well really empathy pieces to the Nth degree, in which a story I hear about in the "other" media realm touches my heart and I just have to write about it
The former type is usually inspired by intense feelings stemming from personal relationships and extrapolated out in the form of fiction. The latter type is equally inspired by intense feelings, but those borne from brushing for a moment against a stranger's life. Sometimes these opinion pieces find themselves transformed into a work of short story fiction. I imagine the challenging situation from the vantage point of the person who experienced it and write as if it had happened to me. I have been told that I have the gift of connecting to the inner core of another. Here is an example of a story that I wrote based on the news account several years ago of the illegal aliens crossing the border in a large truck and being abandoned to die in the hot Texas sun while still locked inside; their money long gone with the drivers who swindled them out of their life savings for the freedom ride. Take a peak here and decide for yourself if you feel like I was there when you read it:

Anyway, just realized I spent so much time explaining what I usually post that it has morphed into a post of its own. So I will do the only smart and sane thing any other writer who faces a post-midnight clock and is beginning to sport a funky chest cold (hmmmn, I never, ever, ever get sick, so WTH is up with that- DO NOT even mention Swine Flu Pandemic- lvl 6- we are at lvl 5 and holding! - still it's strange to be getting a cold in the spring.........) I am going to bed!!!

Bon Soir Baby!



Copyright Michelle Beckham-Corbin 2009

No comments: