Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day Tribute to Loyce Beckham


Love the ability to sit in my backyard and mess around on my laptop due to the wireless state of our house. It is absolutely gorgeous out here. I've got my iTouch broadcasting some of my favorite songs mixing with the sound of birds twittering and the occasional barking dog.

In honor of Mother's Day, I wanted to pay tribute to my mother. I really appreciate everything that she has done for me and my three siblings. She paved the way by her example. She was the first person in her family to receive a Master's Degree, this was way back in the '60s when many colleges including my alma mater, Xavier University, were completely male enclaves. She worked as a Social Worker placing children in need of a home with loving, adoptive families. She took time off when we were young to stay home with us. She was always an active person in the community and set a great example by sharing her gifts and talents with others. School board, parish council, one of the first lay Eucharist ministers in the '70s, taxi driver for all of our extra-curricular activities and school carpools, gourmet chef, and gardener extraordinaire. Later, when we were in high-school, she re-invented herself and became a Library manager for the well-known Montgomery County, Maryland library system (suburb of Washington, D.C.).

Now retired, she occasionally subs for the library system and continues to grow an incredible flower garden, rivaling any spread in Home Beautiful magazine. My parents always exposed us to the arts and gave us the gift of private school educations. All four of us have gone on to have exceptional careers because we started with a foundation that included much love, an emphasis on reading, focus on education and enjoyment of the arts. My parents weren't rich, didn't take lavish vacations, or focus purely on their own interests. Instead, they invested what they had in US and we are all the better for it. IT Project Manager for the Department of Labor, Brand Promotions Director for Astra-Zeneca, Director of Marketing for Cision, former Sales & Marketing Manager for the Procter & Gamble Company and founder of C3: Creating Connections Consulting firm. We are all leading incredibly successful lives. It all starts with your mother (and father!).

Happy Mother's Day to Loyce Beckham: mother extraordinaire!

Copyright Michelle Beckham-Corbin 2009

No comments: