Thursday, August 28, 2008

MICHELLE OBAMA ROCKS !!! !! THE GOLDEN RULE





I missed Michelle Obabma's speech the other night at the Democratic National Convention, but I did catch the post-event video clips. I was really impressed with what she had to say and one portion in particular really struck a cord with me. Here are her words, as well as a link to the actual speech text:

"...Barack and I were raised with so many of the same values: that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you're going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don't know them, and even if you don't agree with them."

"And Barack and I set out to build lives guided by these values, and pass them on to the next generation. Because we want our children — and all children in this nation — to know that the only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work for them."


Wow. Too bad she isn't running for president. These values:

  • Working hard
  • Doing what you say you are going to do (word as bond)
  • Treat all people with dignity and respect
  • No limits to your level of achievement

These are values that my parents raised myself and my three siblings with. My parents gave us a tool kit filled with these personal tenets as well as many others and the certainty that we were loved for who we were. There was never a doubt in my mind that I could achieve anything that I set my mind to if I only put forth the maximum effort. I have always led my life with a personal code of integrity. If I say that I am going to do something, I move heaven and hell to the best of my ability to get it done. I treat everyone I meet with dignity and respect and although there are times/situations/personalities that make this very difficult, I try to remind myself that behavior is sometimes the product of things immediately beyond someone's control. For example, that negative person at the next cubicle who doesn't treat others with respect may be harboring a secret life of abuse. There is always a back story for why people are the way they are; especially when it seems outside the norm or outside their usual behavioral patterns.

So to my namesake, Michelle Obama, I salute your effort in naming those things that connected you to your husband, Barak and applaud you for sharing them with the rest of the nation and the world. It is my belief as well, that these values will carry all of our children forward into the future as they continue to dream big and have the willingness to work hard to see their dreams fulfilled.

No comments: