Friday, August 15, 2008

Will I Find Inspiration in The Shack?


I'm reading a book that is extremely hard to put down. It is The Shack, by William P. Young and is #1 on the Paperback Best Seller's List and the really weird thing is that I didn't purchase it. Cameron, who just turned 14, saw it at Border's and wanted to buy it. It falls within the Inspirational Reading category, which normally doesn't grab my attention, but considering it was at the top of the popular list, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about and why a teenage boy would choose this as the one book he was going to buy that day. (As background, we are a family of voracious readers!)

I am just a quarter of the way through and can feel the magnetic pull to keep up a steady pace of reading so that I can find out what the main message of the story is. I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone who may want to read it, so I will just say that at this point, I keep hugging my children and am very thankful that they are now at the age where I don't have to worry about the bogeyman in the night. Define bogeyman to your own taste: kidnapper, sexual predator, psychotic nanny or babysitter, bully- whatever your primal fear is regarding the safety of your own children.

For some reason, I feel that I am being led to read this book; especially given that I probably have at least 25 others around the house that have all been crying out to be read. I guess I will just have to wait to see what elapses and why I am being called. Will keep you posted! If you have read it, please let me know your thoughts.

No comments: