Tuesday, August 5, 2008

My Friend Kevin Bacon


You know the old adage that everyone on the planet is separated from Kevin Bacon by as few as six degrees? Well Kevin and I are directly linked on my LinkedIn site. I guess he was inspired to add me by my discourse on the whole connectivity theory. Here is a great article from the Washington Post (my hometown paper!!) that addresses some scientific research that fully supports the Kevin Bacon 6 Degrees of Separation Game (woops theory!):

TECHNOLOGY
Instant-Messagers Really Are About Six Degrees from Kevin Bacon
"Turns out, it is a small world. The so-called small world theory, embodied in the old saw that there are just "six degrees of separation" between any two strangers on Earth, has been largely corroborated by a massive study of electronic communication."
(By Peter Whoriskey, The Washington Post)


And for the record, I have great respect for Kevin's work over the years. Footloose (song and movie) will forever bring back memories of Bill Ryan and Chris Beer as we tried to take Xavier University's Student Government by storm with the student body presidential elections.

And also for the record, if you live in Cincinnati, then you are separated by all greater Cincy residents by only 2 degrees of separation and that's a fact (especially if you went to Elder, St. X, UC, Xavier , or worked at GE or P&G).


No comments: