Wednesday, July 22, 2009

We Are Too Freakin' Young to be Dying Right Now



Let me start by saying I hate rainy days. They are dark and cold and massively un-motivating. Unless I have an appointment that requires me to be outside of the office, I prefer to ruminate on the inside away from the elements. Lately, Cincinnati has looked a lot like Seattle, Washington: cool and wet. This is the first summer in the history of my life to not have a killer tan by July. I haven't even dipped one little toe into the pool and my garden hose is gathering dust as the weeds fly higher into the sky competing with the blades of grass that are a bright, vivid green. Usually as we approach August, the grass begins to take on a bit of a straw-like hew, despite having an in-ground sprinkler system to revive it.

All of this talk about the weather is really a ploy to procrastinate what I really want to write about. And what I want to write about is this huge divergence in feelings that I am experiencing. On the one hand, despite the gloomy weather, I had an incredibly successful business day. Made some great connections; worked with a really fun client to clarify a project; and helped out a college senior majoring in communications by discussing social media career options with her.

I even received a wonderful phone call this evening from Mackenzie's new basketball coach letting us know that she made the highly competitive A team for CYO again for the fall. She will be playing basketball and soccer which she has been doing concurrently forever, but also wants to pick up a Lacrosse Wednesday night league. 3 sports, yeah call me crazy. We did it once before and I said never again! We'll see...........

Despite all the good news, my mood is tempered by a message I received today about an old high school friend. She has CANCER- a word that strikes fear into my heart. Several of my girl friends have lived through Breast Cancer and three of my friends from the Academy of the Holy Cross have died of cancer in the last 5 years.

We are too FREAKIN' young to be dying right now.

That's all I have to say.............


Copyright Michelle Beckham-Corbin 2009

No comments: