Wednesday, August 19, 2009

INMATES' FREE TIME FEEDS THE HUNGRY


A noteworthy piece of news caught my eye this morning over my breakfast of waffles & coffee (Millstone, of course!). I was actually reading a real (as in paper) copy of the Cincinnati Enquirer which is something that I usually reserve for Sundays, because I typically digest my week day news on-line. I scan the on-line headlines for The New York Times, the Washington Post, CNN and the Cincinnati Enquirer and have late-breaking news alerts emailed to me and of course am instantly updated on Twitter with one of the many media outlets I am following.

But what really struck today me was an article by a writer in Columbus detailing how prisons are utilizing their inmates' "free" time to help grow and harvest food for the many families who find themselves in need due to the devastating economy. It was reported that many of the inmates felt great satisfaction from their ability to make a difference in someone's life. I think this is an incredible concept with wins on all sides. Hungry people are being fed with fresh, nutritious food while people serving their sentences for transgressions committed can feel like they are accomplishing something good and learning some skills that they can use later on the "outside".

I grew up in a family that always had a garden and we children each had a role in the production from weeding and watering to picking and washing the produce. I have many fond memories of being outdoors in the summer in the middle of the rows just marveling at the various varieties of vegetables that were growing. Often times, my brother and I would set up a small table at the end of our suburban driveway and have fun selling the extra tomatoes, cucumbers and zucchini.

I still remember the times that our kitchen was filled with steam from the many jars of tomatoes that my mother canned that would last throughout the winter months. There is something special about growing your own food and the organic aspects of it can't be beat.

When was the last time that you grew some of your own food?

(image credit: http://4simpsons.files.wordpress.com/2006/08/vegetables.jpg)

Copyright Michelle Beckham-Corbin 2009

No comments: