Wednesday, June 24, 2009

ALMOST HEAVEN


For the first time ever, I am experiencing a slight version of writer's block. I'm thinking that this is because I only have 30 minutes of available time, and given that sort of pressure I am freezing in my attempts to write something profound. I wasted the first 5 minutes or so trying to determine if I wanted to capture something of a creative nature based on what I personally am feeling or perhaps to go off on my very favorite routine of channeling the feelings and emotions of someone else. The subject can be someone in the news that I don't personally have a relationship with or someone that is close to me. I think perhaps the best way around this block is to list some potential topics or people that I would like to examine in an up close and personal way, so here goes:

Neda, the young woman from Iran who was shot on the street during the protest- I saw the video several times and despite the warning, I was not shocked. Unfortunately, in recent years, I have seen too much of the same thing and have become desensitized when viewing. It is later, after I have absorbed the images, that I begin to feel the raw visceral reactions and BOOM! it hits me like a mortar round.

Secrets: what happens when you discover that you are not who you thought you were, or perhaps discover some secret that has been locked away in an ancestral closet for many generations. How does this change your reality?


Highly intuitive people- how their gifts give them the edge with people skills and in life. Is this something that is passed down through generations?

Social Media and the age divide- what kinds of people are embracing social media in their personal lives- is it age-related or is there something deeper, perhaps in terms of a connectedness factor?


Legacy- what is my legacy to my children and to the world. What lasting piece of me do I want to create before I leave the earth for good?


Heaven- want to explore in a fictional manner what it will mean for people to meet up with others from their lives in heaven. Will my neighbor truly know what I thought of him for all those years? Will my first boyfriend realize that I was in infatuation for someone else at the same time? Will all secrets be revealed? Will it even matter? More importantly is there a Heaven?



Hmmn, looks like a pretty nice start to some writing prompts. Too bad these books aren't already written, because they sound like a fascinating read! Guess I have some work to do, hopefully you will meet me on the other side (and no I'm not referring to heaven!).

Copyright Michelle Beckham-Corbin 2009

No comments: