Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Ranting in the Rain storm.......

I'm lagging on the posting again, so you know what that means.....Recycling some of my creative writing. I am dying to get back to my novel, so I think I will post part of it here to act as inspiration for me to dust off the outline and jump back into where I left off. Life truly is a path, actually in my case, a highway. So many things along the way have been interconnecting and creating this unseen web that has led me to where I am. It's all back to the destiny theme that keeps resurfacing, but I digress. If I continue this rant, it will morph into a blog post, so without further ado, here is an excerpt from my novel:



Justin reached for another Miller, crumpling the empty aluminum can of the finished beer in his fist and lobbing it against the wall. Another night spent lying on the couch; laptop by his side. Another night of fighting back the physical pain of his injuries with meds and the emotional pain of the break up of his marriage with alcohol. He has already spent eight weeks recuperating from the accident: the event that changed his life.


He had always loved bikes; loved their sleek metallic coolness; the roar of the engine as they revved up and the sultry smell of the exhaust pluming into a cool September day. He began racing back when he was nine years old by challenging neighbor boys to beat his times around the dirt moguls of East Texas. This love carried on into his teens and adulthood as he joined the Fox Racing team and won many competitions. Life happened and Justin had to put the dream of motocross super-stardom away in order to support a wife and a family. He would still occasionally enter competitions on the weekends but lived a mostly non-assuming life by day as a mid-level business manager at a wholesale merchandising company.


Justin followed motocross tourneys across the country and thoroughly loved the lifestyle: the competition, the thrill of the crowd chanting his name, the free-flowing alcohol at the all-night parties and the women who hung on his every word. It was such a multi-dimensional high for him especially given that he was such an extreme thrill-seeker. He got off on danger and living on the edge. Unfortunately, these characteristics hastened the demise of his marriage and contributed to the reason that he was here alone now on the couch. He thought back to the event that caused his leg to be shattered and his life splintered.....




Copyright Michelle Beckham-Corbin 2009

No comments: